Here's the deal your hair needs water, loads of it. While you may think drinking water helps, it is simply not enough. Why? Well, "the daily intake of water for hair growth is between two and three litres" according to the institute of medicine. Let's be honest, you may not even drink that much water in a day. Even if you do, it is probably not enough to support the level of hydration your hair needs.
That's where hydrating hair care products come onboard! Hydrating products typically have higher water content or are designed to draw out water from the air and into the core of your hair strand.
While all these are excellent properties, there is more to do than just grabbing these products from the store and slapping them on. To get the best value for your bucks, you must use hydrating hair care products the right way. Here's how;
Mind portion sizes: keep in mind that portion sizes matter - a lot. But note that it depends on the product's formula and potency. Always use products that are heavier or strong last & in the smallest quantities. On the other hand, you should use the lightweight stuff first and in larger quantities for maximum spread.
Layer right: It is wrong to apply your hair care products in the wrong order. Like we said, for the best blend you need to apply the lightest product then the heaviest. That allows you to layer the products in a way that they compliment each other's function. On that note, the three stages to styling your hair in the right order is to: 1) hydrate- straight out of the shower to seal-in the moisture & air dry 2) Use a foundation product like volumizer, and 3) Use hairspray or shine serum & style.
Read the label: That's right. This may sound like a no-brainer but a quick self check and you'll realise how often you skip reading the instructions on the products bottle. The instructions are there for a reason- to guide on the proper application of the product for optimal results.
That's all for today's lecture. But remember healthy hair isn't just about what you put into your body or on your hair but how you do it. Now that you're in the loop, you can say goodbye to the straw hair texture in summer or frizzy static strands in winter & leave your hair looking its best.
Before you go, here are five ingredients we love for their ability to penetrate deep into the hair shaft and deliver a high dose of hydration.
The Most Hydrating Hair Care Ingredients
Penetrating or moisturizing oils are capable of entering your hair shaft and their primary use is to help lock moisture inside your hair shaft. At the same time, they also prevent too much water from entering the hair shaft which can damage the cuticle. These are different from sealing oils which go on top of your hair and keep the useful moisture in and can be used in.
1. First we have, Hyaluronic Acid, the moisture-binding property of hyaluronic acid is beneficial to all hair types and textures. It'll help your hair follicles lock in moisture, banish frizz, and potentially add volume to your mane with OMG results.
2. Second is, Aloe Vera made up of a proteolytic enzyme that restores your hair's natural lustre and sheen.
3. Sitting comfortably in the top three is Shea Butter- a natural emollient rich in potent properties that soothes, softens and hydrates your hair.
4. Fourth on our list is Avocado oil filled with great hair beautifying ingredients such as vitamin A, vitamin E and biotin
5. Fifth is Honey which is both an emollient (substance that softens + moisturises) & humectant (water attracting).
6. Last but not the least there's Coconut Oil & Olive Oil with its lightweight texture and unique properties that help to restore your hair moisture.